Monday, October 3, 2011

Decoupage a Pumpkin

I saw this neat idea in a magazine. To decoupage a pumpkin!  I thought it would be a really cool thing to do using scrapping and craft materials.


Yep, you read that right. I decoupaged a pumpkin!  OK, so no, it is not a "real" pumpkin. It is one of those craft pumpkins. Which is even better, cause this baby will last way past when all the Halloween candy has been eaten!

As I said, this was not completely my idea.  I saw this on the cover of Country Living magazine.  But I decided to take it hybrid and kick it up a few notches!

I used papers from a digital kit.  Which was great, I could print out as many copies as I needed. I printed them onto cover card stock paper.  I have an ink jet printer and this worked well for me. I let the papers dry thoroughly after printing.

I cut the papers into strip of varying sizes, between .5 inch and .75 inch wide. I decoupaged the papers on to the pumpkin. Working on half the pumpkin at a time and allowing it to dry. Once all the paper was adhered,  I   then sprinkled glitter as I added thin layers of the sealant.  I also sprinkled some gold embossing powder and heated it up. Oh it's so pretty up close. Wanna peak?

The glittery stuff never shows up as well in my photos.  I also took a part a Fall floral bunch and adhered them at the stem, placed a rhinestone flourish and added a few paper roses.  This is definitely not a scary pumpkin! I was surprised that my guys actually like it!  They usually go for the blood and guts Halloween decor.

Now I've got a pretty decoration that can last through the Autumn holidays.  I hope this inspires you to give it a try too!


4 comments:

  1. So very cool! I especially love how sparkly it is. Wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://mitralee.blogspot.com/2011/10/pretty-pumpkins.html

    Here is my version, thanks for the project idea!

    ReplyDelete