Thursday, October 27, 2011

Canvas Transfer

A while back, I did a tutorial where you could use Sticky Back Canvas and patterned paper to do a transfer.  I love the look of the patterns on canvas, but I don't always want to use sticky back canvas. Recently I was watching a Live with Prima episode and found out you can do a similar technique using Multi Medium.

For this technique you will need your canvas (other fabrics will work as well, but I suggest you stick to lighter colors), multi medium, paint brush, patterned paper, and a water bottle.
Begin by placing a layer of multi medium onto the canvas where your paper image will go. Remember, do not use words or numbers.  In the end you will have a reverse image, and unless you want to be reading your project in the mirror..... Then adhere your image over the top. Let dry over night.

The next day, spritz the paper with a bit of water and use your finger to rub off the paper.  Yep, this step can be a bit messy.
When complete you should have something that looks like this.  The image may not be as bright and vibrant as it could be, but don't worry.
 If you would like to brighten it up, a quick coating of Mod Podge should do the trick.
I find that single sided, lighter weight papers are perfect for this technique.

Here is my finished project.
I covered my canvas with some beautiful Prima flowers, many of them brand new from my Your Memories Here grab bag!  I also used some of the new gorgeous Prima resins, leaves, alphas, and buttons also from my grab bag.  A bit of chipboard from 3Tails Craft and some seam binding I dyed with Glimmer Mist finished this project off.  
The new Prima florals are so gorgeous!  I love the rich fall colors.
sugar maple and suede glimmer mist and hay ride glam dyed the seam binding
love that cute little bird house from Prima
I really like this idea for a wall hanging and am thinking I will make another for Christmas soon.

Hugs.



3 comments:

  1. this is really cool, Nancy, didn't know you could do this with fabric that easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Очень красиво и не обычно!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool technique Nancy! Thanks so much for sharing. I am still planning on trying this.

    ReplyDelete