Monday, March 26, 2012

Designing With Arrows + Template

Happy Monday, it's Pam here and today I am sharing several ways I design with arrows for my pages. I am hoping the examples from the present and a few years ago will inspire you to create your own page ...plus I am sharing a template and sketch.
I love arrows on my pages. It is one of my favorite accents. Big or small these arrows can point to things, give movement and direction, or just look cool. First up, I will share my newest arrow template and sketch. It is based off my newest page about my dog, Ollie and how fast he is growing up.  The arrows have cut out number and also point to one of the photos of him.


Here is a preview of the template and sketch.

Here is the template link for you to use to use with Photoshop. If you haven't used clipping masks much you might want to review this tutorial.
This is a link to the digital layered template.
http://www.4shared.com/photo/P5pzao7m/file.html

Here is a preview of the sketch if you want to print it off or trace without all of the ink.



Now on to some more examples of the arrow page ideas.
1.  My first example is an old page, but I love how it gives movement to the page. I think it gives the kite great movement.
Tip on creating this: Trace out three large arrows and cut out in desired papers.


2.  My next page also gives good movement to the page. It shows how my son and husband sneaked up the playground in an angled direction.
Tip on creating this: Try to angle those arrows for a cool look. Cut out the same arrow in many different paper.


3.  My next page displays how great arrows are for pointing at stuff. Here I used it to highlight the journaling.
Tip on creating this: Try one small arrow for a big impact.


4.  My next examples highlights how to use the arrow as an accent. This page was published in CK magazine for my Page Carving article. You can download the template here.


5.  My next example shares how I cropped the photos to fit inside a large arrow. That gives it a ton of motion!
Tip on creating this: Sketching this out is easiest first. Print your photos and cut the out the desired shape.


6. My last example uses a page I have posted here before. Here is a link to the blog post. This example utilizes negative space created by arrows.


I hope these pages and template have inspired you create some arrow pages! :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these! Your work is always so beautiful. I love how you've managed to pair really bold arrows with photos and journaling, but still keep the focus on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always love your work. such great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cool! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete