Saturday, June 5, 2010

Creating Negative Space Object + Template

I hope everyone is having a great day! Today I am sharing how I created a negative space object and a template. Here is the page I created.

From this layout you can see how much the toad is highlighted. I wanted to use brightly colored summer paper and I knew that the toad would probably get lost in my page. I decided to create a negative space arrow. Rather than cutting out an arrow in a brightly colored paper, I cut out that same shape from my design and created negative space. This creates a neat effect, but most importantly, it highlights the photo. I also created an edge around the patterned paper to make the arrow pop even more.

To make it easy for your to re-create this if you like, I created a template.

Here is the JPEG image for traditional scrapbook to print out and use on their page. Here are instructions on how to print large templates (if you don't have a 12" by 12" printer): The Print Shop and Photoshop Elements.

Here is the link to the digital layered template:

Lastly, here the sketch of the page.

Also here are the SCAL files for anyone interested! These were made by Chris L.! Thank you Chris!!

What other things can you create using negative space objects? Send me your pages and I will feature them! Email me .


  1. This is so fun. I hope to use it soon :)

  2. Thanks so much for the template. I really like the negative space you created with the arrows.

  3. This template is so innovative! I cannot wait to use it. Thanks so much!

  4. Great template. I will be putting it to use hopefully tonight once the baby goes to sleep. Until then, SVG files. Two different cutting options:

  5. Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 5 post on Jun. 06, 2010. Thanks again.

  6. You have some great templates thanks for sharing.