Friday, April 19, 2013

Creative Ways to Use Film Strips

Hi, Marlene here.   This strip of pictures were taken right before my daughter became a "teenager" (KWIM) and just prior to braces. We had a great afternoon at the mall and commermorated with the photos.This clip of photo booth pictures has been hanging on my fridge for years, it was even moved from one fridge to another.  It was starting to show some exposure wear, what better way to preserve it than scrapbooking?
The strip is an odd shape to work with and could easily get camophlaged with a lot of elements so I added bits of black.  The strip is double matted to enlarge and emphasize the pictures.  The see-through "negative" strips help add black and subtle color.    You know those 12 x 12 sheet protectors that are exactly 12 x 12 ?   You can insert the paper in the sleeve but, if it has anything on it, it will not fit. (Pioneer, you deserve the mention here.) I found a use for one. After separating the sides of the sleeve, I applied several colors of alcohol ink with a sponge dauber to color one layer of the clear plastic.   For each embellishment, the outside frame of the filmstrip was cut twice with my Cricut using the Mickey & Friends cartridge.  I ran the filmstrips through a Xyron 510, carefully removed the extra glue then placed one strip on top, lined up the bottom strip over the top with the altered plastic (inked sleeve) in between.  The excess plastic was trimmed from the piece to use as an emblishment which looks like a filmstrip negative.
For me, my Thickers like my flowers are never the right color so I try to keep lots of white on hand to alter to my specific need.  My alcohol ink had been languishing for some time so it was time to use it and it is a great way to color any shiney surface.   I wanted a blue title to mimic the uneven dyed color of the hearts and did not have any Thickers even close to that color.  I did have a white shiney set and applied three different shades of blue in stages to create a mottled title to match.  To work with the letters without using up the adhesive, I placed them on a Non-Stick Craft Mat, afterward they adhered perfectly to the paper.
Here is the finished page. 

5 comments:

  1. Marlene I love your handmade negatives - great idea! Double matting the photo strip really brings your eye to the pictures too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun layout! The negatives are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post really fascinating, Marlene! I love how you used those film strips - very creative and fun!!! Such a wonderful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the effect that you got with the alcohol inks!!! Your title came out great too!

    ReplyDelete