Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Fun Way to Add a Circle to your Layout!

Hi there---Sheila here!  Today, I am going to show you a fun way to add a circle to your layout.  Circles seem to be big right now, but even bigger is the trend of creating your own background...scrapbooking is really becoming more like art class, and I love it! 
The first thing I did was grab one of my "masks" from studio calico, some mist, and a piece of paper left over from cutting a circle on my Cricut. 

 Then, I placed the paper OVER the mask and positioned it where I wanted it on my layout.

I didn't love the pink mist that I originally picked out (pictured in the first photo), so I grabbed some purple instead, and mixed it with a little white mist---DON'T be afraid to mix your mist and use it like paint!  It is capable of much more than being sprayed!

After I painted this mixture on my mask and within my circle, here is what I got:
It was a little blotchy in some places, but I like the imperfect look---luckily!


Then I grabbed one of my favorite stamps and a darkish-purple ink pad.

Begin rolling the stamp over the circle. The paper helps you not to go over the edges of the circle.

Almost done...

Voila!  And you know from my first post here at IFS, I love dripping some ink over everything.  So that's what I ended up using the pink for.

After you finish your circle, it's simply a matter of deciding where to put your pictures and embellishments.  Here is how my final layout turned out:

Here are a couple of closeups:
 Oh, and the doily you see above?  I cut that out of some Prima packaging!  Yes, I am a hoarder :( 

I know as a scrapbooker, it took me a long time to get out of my comfort zone of ONLY using patterned  paper and premade embellishments.  Once I strayed into the world of inks and altering paper and embellishments, I had so much fun!  Hope you'll try this---remember, you can make whatever you need or want---even a circle for your next project!  Thanks so much for stopping by today :)


VISIT THE CONTRIBUTOR'S BLOGS/GALLERIES
Cathy Dippolito
Dolores Schaeffer
Cindy deRosier
Marlene Murphy
Lesley Walker
Gael Spence
Sarah Routledge
Sharon Fritchman
Tanya Ham
Sheila Burns
Pam Callaghan



3 comments:

  1. GREAT job! I am struggling with this now. I am more of a clean & simple scrapper, but all my friends are very much into art journals and distress inks! They are teaching me to do things like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so cool! Like Tanya, I'm a clean & simple scrapper who hasn't really explored the more free / messy / artsy side of scrapping, but this looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, Sheila!! I just started getting into art journaling and using all of the fun, artsy scrapping "stuff" out there now! I can't wait to try your cool technique!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete