Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunburst Technique Tutorial!

Hi all, it's Pam here again. Someone asked me how to create the sunburst effect on my pages, so I am sharing a tutorial on creating the paper sunburst effect with only two tools, your ruler and protractor. If you don't have one, protractors are super cheap and I have used mine a ton. I am a total math nerd so I have a bunch laying around. I love geometry! Ok, I admit, if you haven't figured it out, I LOVE math! Sunbursts make me happy b/c they are so symmetric! ;)
Ok, so now that you have your handy ruler and protractor, start with your desired piece or pieces of papers. I chose only one color for an easy tutorial, but you can do this with a bunch of colors.. just cut out all pieces in one color and trace each shape onto a different desired patterned paper :).
1. measure out the middle of the paper and mark it. I originally started with a 12" by 12" and the middle was 6" inches. But eventually I decided I wanted a border, so I made my layout 11" long and the midpoint would be 5.5.

2. Next, get out that handy protractor. I decided to measure and mark at every 30 degrees. So, first line it up so the mark you made is right underneath that circle on the bottom of the protractor.

3. Next, mark on the top of the protractor at 15,  45, 75, 105, 135, and 165 degrees like I show here.

4. Now it's time for connect the dots. Remember that first dot you made at 5.5"? You are going to connect that to each mark and make a line.

5. For my page, I wanted a space in between each sunburst, so I thickened each line to about 1/8 of an inch. This photo doesn't show it quite thick enough yet (I didn't get a photo of that, but you get the idea).





6. Now just cut out each burst and glue it on your background. As I noted before, if you want to alter the colors, just simply trace your shape onto a new piece of paper.


Now, just finish off your page. Here is mine :) TFL!! I used my new favorite patterned paper collection called 24/seven by Simple Stores. I LOVEEEE this collection!!!!!


Send me a page if you use this technique :)



VISIT THE CONTRIBUTOR'S BLOGS/GALLERIES
Cathy Dippolito
Dolores Schaeffer
Cindy deRosier
Marlene Murphy
Lesley Walker
Gael Spence
Sarah Routledge
Sharon Fritchman
Tanya Ham
Sheila Burns
Pam Callaghan
 





7 comments:

  1. Thank you Pam for doing this for me. I may be out there buying a protractor today. This definitely makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love the sunburst and everything else about your layout. As much as I love this, I probably won't be trying it. I love math, but I hate measuring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I can't wait to try this -- it has so many great applications. Your directions were so clear and easy - I appreciate that! And thank you for the geometry leason LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never in my LIFE did I think to use a protrator!!!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tutorial is awesome, Pam! I can't wait to try it, too!

    ReplyDelete