Thursday, October 28, 2010

DIY Scavenger Hunt by Cindy!

Our family went camping recently. I thought it would be a lot of fun to have a scavenger hunt while we were there, so I dug through my scrapbook supplies to see what I could put together. It was so fun and easy that I'd like to share it with you.

I started with a kraft-colored bag and a die-cut tree from BasicGrey.



I wasn't happy with the pattern on the tree, so I gave it a quick coat of brown paint. When the paint was dry, I gave it a light spray of suede Glimmer Mist. I gathered the rest of my materials: a few scraps of Crate Paper and BasicGrey papers, the ColorBox chalk ink in chestnut roan that I can't live without, and an EK Success leaf punch.



I cut the orange paper into a rectangle slightly smaller than the bag, and then cut the sky paper slightly smaller than that. I cut an random undulating shape on one side of my green rectangle. I inked the edges of all the pieces and then cut out the center of the orange rectangle to save to punch out leaves and make a tag. I added the tree, then punched and inked around 50 leaves and added them to the tree and ground. I adhered all the pieces together and gave it a couple of coats of mod podge before adhering it to the bag.



I wasn't sure exactly what items we would find at these particular campgrounds, so I made a very generic list of items to find, added the orange paper and adhered it to the brown. I added a rivet at the top. After a few coats of mod podge had dried, I attached the tag with a random scrap of ribbon. Here's a closeup of the tag:



We had so much fun on our scavenger hunt! Here's my son Trevor (age 4) showing off the items in his bag:



I hope this inspires you to create your own scavenger hunt!


(CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT CINDY)


6 comments:

  1. Wow...super cute idea! That bag is adorable! I'm going to have to remember this...my son would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Cindy -- what a great project!! That picture of Trevor is adorable too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I love that that the clues are general and could work anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! what a fabulous family activity! I'm a podge fanatic so I'd have tons of fun with that part ;) love your tree, it turned out super nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun idea, and later he could bring the bag home with his collection of found bits and pieces to remember the trip by! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete