Friday, August 3, 2012

Special Guest Artist: Karen Anderson

Happy Friday. It's Pam here sharing a tutorial by a super talented artist named Karen. She has been featured a couple of times with cool tutorials such as a Punched Poinsetta and Braided Tape Border. Please get to know her more by reading her bio here. She has a unique style of style scrapbooking and lots of great ideas to share on her blog: http://totalpapercrafts.blogspot.com/ .  It is such an honor to feature her innovative project today. Sit back and enjoy this great tutorial by Karen!

 ___________________________


The launch of new products and materials is something that always excites me as I am definitely a 'technique geek', I'm always on the look-out for new things to use and new ways to use them.  Now I've told you that you can probably imagine just how excited I was when glassine paper hit the craft scene a little while ago. You can find glassine in a coated kraft colour and also in a thinner white version, I began chatting about both types in very exuberant terms during my classes and quickly discovered that lots of my students didn't know how to use it.  Since then I have included glassine in a few classes and it has been hugely popular so I thought I'd share some ideas with you today.

You'll need some glassine paper, in this tutorial I used the kraft version but you can use white in exactly the same way for a more delicate finished effect.

I used an embossing folder, a die-cut machine and some flower dies to create textured glassine flowers.

Cut a piece of glassine paper to fit your embossing folder. 

Place the paper into the folder - you can actually do multiple layers at the same time, I have done two layers with the kraft glassine and up to four layers of white.

Pass the folder through your diecutting/embossing machine

Remove the glassine paper from the folder to reveal the embossed effect - raised areas become lighter to highlight the effect.


Use the embossed glassine with dies to create flowers, multiple layers can then be stacked to create a dimensional embellishment. In this scrapbook layout 
I coloured the glassine first with Distress Ink which I set with a heat gun and then followed the steps above to emboss and die cut the flowers.
In this second double page layout I used white glassine and added colour by inking it after the embossing stage to highlight the raised designs on the flowers and leaves. 
I hope that I have given you some ideas of how you can use glassine paper in your scrapbooking and papercraft projects.  It is so simple to work with making it a breeze to create stunning effects - if you are inspired by this feature then please share with us what you have created, we'd love to see what you come up with!
 ___________________________
Thank you so much, Karen, for sharing your ideas here once again!!

2 comments:

  1. Grteat job walking us through some great ideas on how to use glassine papers.

    I don't usually leave comments on any blogs that still have word verification turned on. It is just too exhausting to decifer when you read and comment on a lot of blogs.

    At may age it is too hard on the eyes as well.

    ReplyDelete