Friday, August 10, 2012

Special Guest Artist: Sheila Burns

Hey, it's Pam here sharing a special guest artist with you. Her name is Sheila and she was a featured artist once before when she shared some great projects with us which you can see here. You can also read more about her on her intro post which is also on that link. Today Sheila is sharing her more of her ideas with us in a post about color and ombre. This post is such a cool idea and one I want to try b/c the results, as you will see, are gorgeous plus I can use that Bazzill monochromatic cardstock I have!! I am so glad to have Sheila post again at IFS... you can also learn more about her on her blog: http://parttimepretties.blogspot.com/ . There are tons more ideas on there so hop on over there right now. Now onto her post!

_______________________________

As I look through magazines, stores, and pinterest, ombre seems to be everywhere---food, fashion, home décor, and even fingernails! 
Ombre is defined as having colors of tones that shade into each other.
 
I love to incorporate new trends into scrapbooking, so I started thinking about ways to add an ombre touch to my projects.  Sure, you could take the time to find and cut scrapbook paper into just the right shades.  Me, I like to do things the easy way.  So, at the hardware store, and a local paint store, I grabbed tons of paint swatches.  The shades are already all there for you and arranged from lightest to darkest…
 

 
Above is a swatchbook that is fairly subdued in color, but if you have ever painted a room in your home, you know the possibility of hues is almost endless! 
 
 
I chose some brighter colors to make this card:
 
 
This was soooo simple!  All I did here was cut strips from the paint swatches, and glued them on in order of color value.  I didn’t match up the ends.  I cut the little sentiment out of some bigger printed paper, and backed it in more “paint swatch”.  I cut the butterfly out of a bigger paint sample, and  to dress it up a little, I inked the edges in hot pink and stamped silver polka-dots on it.  A little bling in the middle (I don’t think it is possible for me to do a project without some kind of bling) and a stapled ribbon along the bottom, and I was done! 
 
 
The next card is much more simple:
 

What inspired this card was actually the little “hello” badge.  I have had it forever, and started thinking it needed something more.  So, cut out some tulle circles, some twine, and a flower I die-cut out of a cardboard box (that’s the other thing about me---I don’t throw stuff out!).  It needed more…so I decided to use, I use larger paint swatches in graduating shades as background.  I finished it off with a little piece of washi tape.  Though it is simple, I feel that the swatches make the badge POP. 
 
And last, but not least, I used some greens and yellows and some punches and went wild!


 
It was so much fun to layer the greens and the yellows, and also to use my collection of punches!
 
The best part about this particular way of using ombre?  It’s FREE!  So get to the hardware store and get scrapping!  Have fun!
 
 

_______________________________

Thanks bunches for sharing your neat ombre ideas with us again, Sheila!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of ombre - great ideas for incorporating it into scrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Love the ombre ideas of Sheila!!

    ReplyDelete