Friday, March 26, 2010

Creating A Beachy Page by Marlene!

This is the first layout that I have done using a picture from our recent vacation. Getting my son to allow his picture to be taken is difficult so I love this picture because he looks so relaxed and happy. We were having such a great time being together after ten months of separation and it shows in this photo. I wanted the layout to reflect the casualness of the beach and the contentment of the occasion.



The background paper was created to hint of waves and the subtle variations in colors at the beach. I cut a mesh bag that had contained Clementine oranges. Any type of mesh bag will work but this one has thick lines which created a sharper grid. The edges of the mesh were secured to a cutting mat outside the cardstock one edge at a time working to flatten the plastic. A stipple brush can be used to apply acrylic paint, but I used a dauber here for an uneven application of the color. I have also had good results using multiple colors by allowing each color to dry before applying the next.



Embellishments and title were cut with a Cricut using the Life Is A Beach cartridge. All of the edges of the cuts were outlined using a Stampin Up watercolor pencil, then blurred with a water brush. Fiskars border punches called sunburst and waves were used to give just a tad more definition. For this page, I was going for an uncluttered but not particularly clean look ... like the beach.


(CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MARLENE)

4 comments:

  1. Great job Marlene! Love the mesh bag idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome technique Marlene!!! I'll have to try that. I love the punched waves on the bottom and the crab with the googly eyes too!

    ReplyDelete