Thursday, May 3, 2012

Behind the Scenes

Cindy here!  I can't tell you how many times I've dug through my paper supply, found the perfect paper, but not had quite enough of it to do what I'd hoped.  Check out this layout: 



I had exactly two sheets of the background cardstock and nothing else on hand that was quite what I wanted.  Yet, I really wanted to back my title and make journaling strips from that same cardstock.  My solution was to cut out a chunk of the cardstock that would be hidden behind the photos.  



I do this ALL the time.  Probably half of my layouts have visible chunks missing from them if you look at the backside.  Fortunately, this is hidden in the album!  

Here's another example.  The finished layout looks like this:



I didn't enough of the creamy cardstock to make a complete circle, nor did I have enough of the green patterned paper to back the photo strip.  Here's what the layout looked like before I adhered everything.  As you can see, I only used tiny strips of patterned paper behind the photo strip, and the 'circle' is actually two pieces that were *barely* big enough to fit behind the photos.

 
I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this!  Anyone else have clever solutions to the problem of not-quite-enough paper?


4 comments:

  1. you are so creative!! I love these solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pages! The first one inspires me to work on some Christmas Jilli bean soup paper I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that a lot too - particularly with double sided papers when I only have one sheet - well I have paid for both patterns, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, I often have big pieces missing out of my cardstock base where I've covered it with some other paper, particularly if I use a 10"x10" square of patterned paper on top of the cardstock, so just have a border around that. There's no point in wasting paper now is there!
    I've done it with ribbon too. On this layout: http://kaleidoscope-scraps.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/i-love-you.html there is a piece of striped ribbon coming out of the top and bottom of the embellishment line that looks like it goes all the way down the page, but it is in fact two separate pieces about 5cm (2") long each.

    ReplyDelete