Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Designer Showcase: Animals

We're going to the zoo this week as part of our Designer Showcase series! We are sharing projects about animals. Makes me want to sing along with Peter, Paul and Mary:

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo;
How about you, you, you?
You can come too, too, too.
We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo

Let's start with our new Contributing Artist, Marlene.  (You can "meet" Marlene at this post).  Isn't this page adorable?  I love the little party hats on the dogs!  The title is so perfect!  Everything on the page is so happy and bright. I really like the way she layered multiple mats of the same color cardstock. The inked edge adds a subtle detail that gives more dimension and texture to the page. 

Marlene has also shared this layout about an encounter with some not so pleasant smelling skunks.  Love the way she has taken a stinky situation and turned it into something so pretty!  The stripes in the paper remind me of the stripe on the skunk, really clever. Look at how she has used the circle patterned paper in a design triangle to help bring your eyes to view the entire page, perfect!  By the way - Marlene used a sketch by our very own Heather to create this page! You can find that sketch here.


Cindy has shared two pages with us.  I really like how she captures so much of the memories by including multiple photos on her page. The blocking she does is wonderful. In the top page I think it is really cute how she lets just a touch of the polka dot paper show at the left of the main block. Then tops it off with 3 well placed shapes the create that design triangle!  In the lower page the idea of the crossed blocks, the big one of photos and the smaller one underneath for the title and jounraling, is really eye catching!  I am also amazed at how photogenic her bunny is!

Oh my gosh!  Isn't that just about the most precious dog face you've ever seen?! Heather has done an amazing job of capturing the character of her dog Lady in this page.  She increases the adorable factor with the addition of the perfect little embellishments. Notice how they make a design triangle too? I really like how she backed her journal spot with coordinating patterned paper.

Nancy has done an amazing job with this page about her puppy.  I love the simple background that she created,  Her placement and selection of elements gives you an idea of just how energetic that cute little pup must be! I really like how she has tucked the flowers under, and the addition of the metal buttons.  Very cute!

Finally, here is a look at our zoo. Seriously, some days, especially at feeding time, it feels like a zoo!  So I've aptly title the page "Our Zoo".  All of our pets are rescues or adopted, except the bird.  I wanted the page to have a bit of a crazy feel to it, kind of how living with all these animals (plus all the 2 legged ones) is like in our house.  So I just clustered the photos. Then I placed the scalloped circle behind it to give it a bit of defined space (that's the OCD in me).  While I have several clusters of elements about the page, they still create a design triangle to help pull the page together.

I hope you've enjoyed the zoo trip with us.  Don't forget to scrap the animals in your life. They are such an important part of our families.  If you'd like to share your animal pages with us please email them to me at scrappycath at gmail dot com. We'll include them in an upcoming Readers Pages post!


3 comments:

  1. Great pages! Everyone's pets are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pages. Love seeing everyones fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pages are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing pages about your pets. They are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete