Friday, May 13, 2011

Designer Showcase: Gifts Wrapped Up by Jennifer

It's Pam again with today's fabulous featured artist, Jennifer D.! She has been a featured artist once before so make sure you get to know from her original post and introduction here. She originally shared a totally neat tutorial on creating acetate flowers. I remember visiting her blog before and finding lots of great page ideas. Her blog called "The Scrap Drawer" features lots of layouts with techniques and two page layouts! And she also makes other scrapbook items as well! What a cool name for a blog :) Here is Jennifer's cool post, I am excited to share this with you!


Gifts All Wrapped Up

We all have them: birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, babies, etc that we have to buy gifts for. As paper crafters, another thing we always have a lot of is left over pieces of scrapbook supplies. So why don’t we combine the two? I like to use these left overs to decorate gifts for my loved ones. I find doing so gift my gifts a little bit of personality and shows the receiver how much I care. Below I will show you how I took some ordinary gifts and amped them up a bit.


First up is a gift bag. We’ve all used them or received them at some time. Sure they look pretty with the tissue paper sticking out the top but I wanted to personalize mine more.


I had some border strips I bought from K & Company awhile back and had used all the ones I loved on layouts but I was still left with several mismatched ones. Lucky for me they were the perfect width for the front of my bag. I took some tulle and pleat folded it onto the bag using adhesive runner. Then with my glue gun I attached the border to the tulle. I spelled my friends name on a piece of scrap paper and then slid it into a book plate which I attached to the bag. I then added some flowers and I was done. It took only ten minutes and I was done but she will absolutely love it. I also made sure that the name was removable so that she can reuse the bag … it’s all about being crafty and green!


Next is a little kraft box that I purchased at my local scrapbook store that I decorated for an anniversary gift.


Using scraps from Basic Grey’s Kioshi Collection, I decorated each side of the box making sure the patterns were alternated so that it each side was unique. I then added some remnant chipboard pieces I had to the sides to give the box some flair. You could really use anything you like: buttons, flowers, stickers … I think you get the point.



And finally, is a cute little Chinese food box that I bought at Michael’s to house a little birthday gift. I tied some pretty gift wrap ribbons to the top of the box and then cut out the cupcake using … you guessed it … scraps from Echo Park’s Life is Good Collection. The cupcake was inspired by a sketch I saw on Allison Davis’ blog and to add some dimension to it I used my i-Top brad maker to create a couple of the circles.


And there you have it. These are just a couple ideas for adding for adding some personality to your gifts. Once you get started, it’s hard to stop! Plus you will get to use up that ever mounting pile of scraps! I hope you enjoyed this post and have a great weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thanks Jennifer for sharing this great post with all of us :) :)


1 comment:

  1. Such a cool post! You really made the gifts special. I really love the take out box!

    ReplyDelete