Monday, August 22, 2011

New Contributor + first post by Cindy!!

Happy Monday! Today I am honored to introduce our newest contributor, Cindy deRosier. If you have been following the blog, you would notice that Cindy has been a featured artist three times. I was so excited when Cindy accepted my invitation to be a contributing artist ;) Cindy has a great scrapbook style and so many neat ideas to share. Get excited for some great contributions! Let's get to know Cindy again from her bio and I will also be sharing her very first post as a regular contributor!


I have an MA in Education and taught 4th/5th grade for 11 years.  I am currently a stay-at-home mom to Trevor, age 5.  I've been scrapbooking for as long as I can remember.  As a young child, I glued photos onto paper and cut shapes out of construction paper to decorate the pages. Around 1998, I discovered the scrapbook industry, such as it was at the time.  I couldn't believe that there were all these beautiful papers and special adhesives that would forever replace my construction paper and rubber cement pages!  I love everything about scrapbooking.  I consider my scrapbooks to be my greatest treasures and hope that someday Trevor loves them as much as I do.

You can see more of my work at my blog: www.cindyderosier.com.  You can also find me at scrapbook.com (cindy312), on the Fiskateers message board (Cindy #4113) and on the Design Teams at Flamingo Scraps (http://flamingoscraps.blogspot.com/) and The Scrapping Stamper
(http://scraplady324.blogspot.com/).


Here are some questions I gave Cindy to Answer:

1) What is your favorite aspect of scrapbooking?
I love using scrapbooking to tell my stories.  Simply putting photos in an album is nice, but for me it's the stories that transform an album into something special that will be cherished by future generations.

2) What products are a must-have for you?
I can't scrap without my Fiskars tools, ColorBox ink, and Tombow adhesive.  I use them on absolutely everything I make.

3) Is there any secret advice on how you complete your pages?
I have a dedicated scraproom with at least six layouts in progress at all times.  Whenever I get stuck or feel like working on a certain thing, I switch projects.  It's not unheard of for a layout to sit unfinished on my desk for 6 months while I wait for inspiration. Unless it's for a timed challenge, I have never started and finished a layout on the same day.

4)  Name 5 of your favorite fonts.
I don't actually have any favorite fonts!  I know this makes me unusual as a scrapper, but I don't collect fonts and would have a hard time naming more than 5.  I use my own handwriting on 99% of my layouts.

5)  What things are you excited to share on the Ideas for Scrapbookers blog?
I'm excited to share some unique topics to scrapbook, ways to incorporate a variety of materials into scrapping, and ideas for getting the most out of the supplies you already have.

Here are two of Cindy's favorite layouts!



Cindy also created a post for today! Check this out!

Time and Date Dot Com

Have you ever been to timeanddate.com?  It's an extremely handy website if you need to do a time zone conversion, look up sunrise/sunset times, or find out when Daylight Savings Time starts or ends.  It's also incredibly useful in scrapbooking.

Here's how.  Imagine you have an awesome picture of yourself with your child.  You'd like to do a heartfelt layout about how much motherhood has changed you, how your life is so much richer since the day he was born, how you can't imagine life without him.  Simply enter the date of your child's birth and the date the photo was taken into the Date-to-Date Calculator.  It will tell you how many years, months, days, hours, minutes, or seconds have elapsed.

This layout is about the best 1,795 days of my life.


I encourage all of you to play around with the Date-to-Date Calculator.  There are so many possibilities just waiting to be scrapped!


_________________________

We are so excited to have you on the team, Cindy! Welcome!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats Cindy! I did not know about the date and time website. I will have to check that out. Love the layout of You and Trevor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Great tip. Love the layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, your layouts and ideas are fabulous! You certainly look very much like a Cindy I went to high school with, although your brothers would have been closer to my (old) age! Does Polar Bear Pride mean anything to you?!

    ReplyDelete