Saturday, June 12, 2010

Let's Make a Mushroom!

On a recent layout, I created my own mushrooms to use as embellishments. I don’t know about you, but I often don’t have just the right embellishment for a layout, so it’s always good to know how to make something.

I’ve had several people ask how I made the mushrooms, so here’s a simple tutorial for you. You DON’T have to be an artist to do this. Make you a pattern on a scrap piece of white cardstock.


Go ahead and cut out the top of the mushroom.


Now lay the top you cut out back down on the cardstock and draw the bottom (underside) of the mushroom. Remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

I might add here, when I am actually making the mushroom, I cut the top piece from one piece of patterned paper, then lay it on the piece I want to use for the underside and just cut it freehand, but using a pattern works too. You do want to cut the underside with a little bit of it underlapping the top piece so that you can glue them together.

Next you’ll want to draw a small piece that will be your stem. This piece definitely doesn’t need to be perfect. Go ahead and cut it out.


Once you have all your pieces cut out, then all you have to do is trace them onto your patterned paper and cut out. Remember….the underside must have a edge that is under the top piece.



The stem you cut out will be glued right in the center of the underside piece. Then just draw some lines to each edge for the “gills” of the underside. Here’s one I put together.

I used three different pieces of patterned paper…well, actually the top and the underside are just the front and back of the same piece. Now…how cute is that!


You can make your mushrooms any size or shape…just use your imagination! Here’s the layout I did recently with my mushrooms. See how I made one of them tall and skinny. You can do this. All it takes is a little practice. Oh…I almost forgot, inking around the edges of each piece will make them have a little dimension.


Hope you have fun making your own embellishments. Be sure to let us know when you do a layout with this technique. We’d love to see it.


3 comments:

  1. Well I agree "how cute is that!" great tutorial on a fun mushroom. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! And such great instructions, you make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete