Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Creating a Banner Tutorial

Banners are all the rage this season in scrapbooking. You see them on layouts, you see them in home decor, and you see them as mini albums. It seems they are everywhere, with many manufacturers creating products to help you create banners for all purposes.

In this layout I used a chipboard banner from Maya Road to add interest to my title.



And here, I have used a Jenni Bowlin Sticker banner to highlight the title.



But, banners aren’t just for layouts. You often find them in home decor as well. To celebrate my daughter’s birthday I made this.



This banner was much easier to make then you would think. There are many products out there, both in canvas and chipboard that will help you build a banner. But for this project I simply made the banner with some patterned paper and cardstock scraps.

I began by cutting scraps of paper into triangles. I made each triangle 3 ½ x 4 ½ inches. You will need the number of triangles as you want pennants in your banner.



In order to do this, I drew an X 3 ½ inches from the edge of the paper, then drew a line 4 ½ inches down from the top of the paper. I measured in 1 ¾ inches to find the center point (1/2 of 3 ½ is 1 ¾). Then, I just connect the dots. Once you do the first triangle, you can use it as a template for the others.




I then mounted each pennant onto a piece of white cardstock. This helped give the paper weight while adding another paper for a decorative edge.


I used my scallop scissors to make the decorative edge, using my pennant as a line to follow.



I embellished each pennant with a flower, some ribbon and a letter.




And on the end letters added some stick pins




From there, it is just poking holes in the end of each banner and stringing the pennants together.




I hope you have fun with your next banner.

Hugs.

Nancy


4 comments:

  1. Love your banner they are all so cute at the moment!! I have made one myself but a it is for a challenge i cannot blog it just yet!!! You have given me some lovely ideas though x :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Love the idea of the decorative boarder! Thanks or sharing!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome tutorial Nancy! I love your layouts. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete